Confession: I’m not one who likes to constantly touch-up my eye makeup throughout the day. Lipstick, blush — sure. But I don’t necessarily want to carry my entire eye kit around with me.
Fortunately, there’s the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. In my opinion, it’s one of the best products from the NARS line. I’d even say it’s the single-best eyeshadow base on the market (in my opinion).
- Packaging: It comes in the signature NARS soft-touch packaging, so it’s easy to grip.
- Applicator: It has a doe-foot applicator, so it’s easy to dab on just the right amount to the lid
- Personal application tip: Once I dab on a small amount, I use my ring finger to spread evenly on the lid & lashline
- Translucent: Although it appears white in the tube, the formula glides on completely colorless.
- Finish: Once the formula dries down, the skin on the lid feels matte & tacky — primed and it literally grabs on to whatever eye color product you place on top.
Results: Whenever I prime my eye look with the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, not only does my liner and eyeshadow stay on and doesn’t budge (or smudge)…it stays put through whatever my day brings….which includes a 4-6 mile bike ride to & from work.
← after my sweaty bike ride home…eye makeup – no problem!
At $24.00 a tube, this product has lasted me for months, even with daily wear. Well-worth the investment for a fuss-free makeup day!
Available a narscosmetics.com.
apologies — i fell behind on my nail posts (been traveling for work). this is a design i had from a few weeks ago.
- LOCATION: STUDIO L, 247 W 38th Street, Ste 1603; (646) 499-5357
- Nail Stylist: Manami (naturally)
when i first saw what could be done with feathers at Studio L, i just knew i had to try it on a design soon!
- Manami recommended laying a color down as a base, so the feathers would show more prominently, i decided to change up the base colors a bit to mix it between a peach / light grey / dark grey
- lay down a clear layer of Calgel, then while sticky, position the full feather tip across the nail
- once in place, cure under the UV, place another layer of clear Calgel over, cure again, then cut off excess. ultimately you can file off the extra excess until it’s perfect!
- afterwards, Manami added a few accents of glitter to the feathered fingers to bring it out!
i think this is one of my all-time favorite designs i’ve done. the feathers looked so sophisticated, but it still had personality!
it’s been nearly 2 years since i last got a crazy nail design. unheard of, considering i’d gotten a new design every two weeks for a full year straight. but my recent trip to Japan has re-ignited my need for the nail art.
i noticed all the super-polished women rocked beautiful calgel designs, even if it was just a simple gradation! even at the mass drug stores, they had a full section dedicated to nail art:
i chose Studio L for my triumphant return to nail art — mostly because i know & trust the skills of Manami, the owner. i know she can always execute any crazy idea i have — very rare when you’re trying to be creative with your nail art!
despite flipping through all the Nail Venus & Nail Max magazines in the salon, i had my heart set on a white-ish design in anticipation of Spring, so i revived an older design i had done a couple years ago: my marbled white design.
NAIL ART DETAILS:
- calgel base
- PEARL calgel color in a reverse french shape
- took White Matte calgel color to create marbled effect
- add rhinestones, gold micro-beads & turquoise as needed around accent nails.
247 West 38th Street (between 7th & 8th Ave), 16th Floor
the nail art craze isn’t going anywhere. i should know…i used to be an addict for a solid year (in my younger days).
in the early years of nail art in NYC, there were two very formidable places: Sakura & Marie Nails. but, as all things do — the city & the scene have both evolved. now there are a bevy of places & players from which to choose.
since i didn’t know any of the technicians at Sakura anymore, and you have to book weeks in advance to get something at Marie Nails, I asked my friend & Nail Art Junkie Keri Blair for suggestions….and so i booked an appointment at Studio L.
Studio L is a small nail art salon, tucked away on the 16th floor of a commercial building in the garment district. it’s owned by Manami, who happened to be one of my all-time favorite nail stylists from the Sakura glory days. she is one of the most talented as far as flat art design, creativity and technical skill.
Studio L is relatively small: they only have 4 mani stations and two pedicure stations. but it’s nice that it’s not a storefront — you’re removed from the hustle & bustle of the street. they are equipped with all the latest nail art magazines, as well as a bevy of shades — including NEON ones!
my first visit was this past Sunday — post to follow. but here’s their info (and some nail art designs to tie you over):
247 West 38th Street (between 7th & 8th Ave), 16th Floor
running so behind on these FOTDs! so here’s a two-for-one!
Thanksgiving look: NARS Single ES in Mekong + Cairo, Zen blush (my new EVERYTHING).
today’s: NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Iceland, Laguna Bronzer on the apples of cheeks, NARS Funny Face Lipstick
phew – FINALLY caught up on my looks!
so today’s inspiration for the FOTD: STRESS. so when i’m stressed out, i have this horrible habit of picking my lips. for someone who LOVES a strong, matte lip…this is probably the single worst affliction, because this ultimately means any lipstick will look a bit gross on flaky lips.
so i turned to the NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in NORMA today. now i’m normally a jelly-lipgloss gal, i don’t fare too well with glosses that are more opaque. but there is such a healthy dose of pigment to these, that i would say this is more like a glossy Lipstick as far as coverage.
now, the first thing you’ll notice about this product: the wand is itty-bitty.
at first, i was scratching my head at this, but after using it…i totally get why. the small brush allows you to get the PRECISION when you apply this. because it’s more like a glossy lipstick in opacity, the tiny brush allows you to really define the lips in a very defined way to get a really beautiful, polished look.
final look (sorry, my photo taking was SO shaky today)
slowly catching up: yesterday’s look.
i’m not one to be matchy-matchy, but sometimes it works. (it also works when you’re getting dressed at 5am and trying to pack your makeup look at the same time….ah, the perils of going to yoga before work)
my logic for this one was simple: i had a chambray shirt. therefore, i did chambray-ish eyes. (it even SOUNDS dumb….cringe). in any case, i used NARS Eyesahdow Duo in Underworld. this is one of the classic “smokey eye” duos — it’s a very true Grey palette, both dark and light. no undertones (not too cold or warm) — JUST grey.
catching up on all my #2011MUC FOTDs! this one was from last Friday.
tried the NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Tokyo…a really subtle “everyday” kind of palette, for someone who doesn’t necessarily want to wear brown neutrals all the time.
really wanted to try a strong, dark lippee (and scare all the suits in midtown, muahaha). i pulled out the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Train Bleu, but felt it might be a little too “bleu” for me…so i warmed it up by putting Lip Liner Pencil in Borneo all over the lips before applying.
it’s no little secret that Daphne Guinness and Francois Nars are homies. while i was in a NARS training last week, i saw this gorgeous photo he snapped of her for his iconic 15×15 book:
and of course, he created this iconic Nars Single Eyeshadow shade in DAPHNE, exclusively after her. it’s a stunning purple/blue MATTE shadow.
the texture is very matte and the color is highly pigmented. you can layer it on for a really concentrated finish, but it also sheers out nicely. just a suggestion: if you’re planning to work it around the lid, avoid using the base on the bottom, otherwise it will anchor too quickly and won’t be able to move.
on the lips: Larger Than Life Lipgloss in Como. more on the product later, but in short: it’s a gloss that packs a lot of pigment punch! almost like a glossy lipstick.
every brand has their cult items. naturally, NARS is known for Orgasm everything (blush, lipgloss, nail polish, Multiple). but that’s not the only thing that’s a cult item.
behold: NARS Lipstick in Schiap. the website describes it as “shocking matte pink”. no doubt about it…it is. again, because this is a semi-matte formula, it is FAR more comfortable on the lips than other versions of this shade i’ve tried. simply amazing!
on the rest of the face:
- NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Kilimanjaro: a GREAT wearable alternative to doing a stark, harsh WHITE on the lids. particularly great for my yellow-undertoned skin
- NARS Highlighting Blush in Miss Liberty: since the lip was so strong, i didn’t want to have too much color on the cheek, just a bit of highlighted lift
- NARS Sheer Matte Foundation: don’t let the name fool you — this is NOT your momma’s matte foundation. it’s actually VERY comfortable, super sheer and it provide a particularly great canvas foundation, especially when you want to play with highlighting and different textures on the rest of your features